HTML

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

To My Husband

For better or for worse.. In sickness and in health.

When we recited these vows August 1, 2009. I knew we would be tested. I never knew what was to come.

For the first few years of our marriage, my husband battled some pretty intense back pain. We saw a chiropractor, physical therapist, family care doctor, and neurosurgeon. He had X-rays, electrical stem therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments, 2 MRIs, 2 nerve block injections under CT and countless trials of various medications. These said medications elevated his liver enzymes, so he had to stop. 3 bulging discs with nerve impingement. Great.

It was so bad, he ended up with several weeks off work, walking like an 80 year old man. At one point, he was completely stuck on the floor, we thought maybe his jeans were restricting him from getting up. He took off his pants, no luck. After an hourglass finally crawled into the kitchen doorway and pulled himself up. I thought the EMS was going to find him stuck in the floor in his undies. Several days I had to put on his socks and underwear. He mentioned if this happened when he was living at home, he would have went commando. -_-. Thankfully after all those tests and a big pep talk from our awesome neurosurg, Andrew is 100% better. He's back to playing basketball, golf and tennis like a champ! We thought that was our big life test. That was our in sickness and in health, right?!

Wrong.

Enters for better or for worse. No where in the vows did it say fertile or infertile, child or childless. It was an automatic assumption. We were going to have kids. 2.5, American average. (Our average since Andrew wanted 3, and I wanted 2) ;)

Infertility is a major strain on a marriage in more ways than one: emotionally, financially, and spiritually. This is where my awesomely handsome husband comes in! I could not be more thankful. I am so thankful that he has been such a constant support in this crazy journey! Not only has this journey been crazy, I have been crazy. With countless different medications, vitamins and hormones taken, I have had several different personalities!

When we received the news of his Semen Analysis, I was devastated. That breakdown was one of the worst I have ever had. Even while I was at work, he managed to calm me down and caress my fears. He constantly reminds me why I fell in love with him when he leaves random notes or texts saying how great of a mother I will be and no matter how it happens, we will be parents!

He has been to so many ultrasounds and dr appts, listening to my constant whining and complaining and barely bats an eye. Looking back, the sweetest moment was when we were discussing our miscarriage. He said he was so upset because he knew how much having a baby of our own meant to me!

Our love is stronger than ever and I love him 100x more than when I said it for the very first time. I am so insanely blessed to have married such a supportive man!

I can't wait to have my babies raised by such an amazing person!

No comments:

Post a Comment