HTML

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gall Bladder Surgery- No joke!

So. It's truly killing me to say gall bladder surgery but I don't want to sound like a know it all and say lap chole or cholecystectomy like a know it all. My job and schooling was xray which we do a lot in surgery. One thing being lap choles. The inject dye and need a few seconds of fluoro (constant xray) before officially removing and that's where we come in. 

I had the procedure done at the same hospital I went to xray school at and know most of the techs so god only knows who got to see me in my naked glory, but whatevs.

Procedure day- 
1030 to register. I was back at 11ish. Gowned up and ready for my IV. I knew the woman wasn't going to get it. I don't have the greatest veins ever but I have a pretty dang good one on my right arm- missed. So when I mean she missed- she went in at the wrong angle and shoved so far it went through the vein. Tried again in my hand- same thing. Says she has to call the IV team. Great. 

3 minutes later at 1130 (one hour before my scheduled procedure) a nurse walks in and says Dr. Madden is ready. Really? The woman missed my IV and he's running an hour ahead of schedule and I'm stuck here! Dr. Madden comes in. Asks if I have any questions. Nope. Explains the risks. That intentions are laparoscopic but may have to open me up. If he does open me up I would stay all weekend. I immediately start crying. I cannot stay all weekend. No way. I have never been away from those babies. Not happening. 

Anesthia comes in. Said my veins look fine. Thank you. He explained the risks , said he had a few more people to visit if I wasn't done when he was done he would stick me. 

In walks the IV team. A cute little 69 year old lady. Gets me on the first try. Thank you. 

We wait and wait. Finally I send my husband to the nurses station to reload someone I'm ready and they come in, start meds. I'm glad nothing happened to me during the procedure because they really didn't let me kiss or hug Andrew goodbye. Guess they just assumed gall bladders are no big deal. Ha! I could feel the effects as I was wheeled back. I remember getting on the OR table.. I think? Putting a mask on me and having me breathe.. Can't remember what theh said actually and that's it. I think I woke up when they wheeled me back? Or it could have been hours later? I really don't know. I must have been asleep for a while. Once I finally got to leave the immediate recovery room where my neighbor was highly pissed and yelling that he was going to leave- he said it had been 2 hours since he talked to Dr. Madden. Whoops. What can I say. I like to sleep. 

You could tell it was a mad house. I peed and drank my drink and 4 saltines which I didn't think I could swallow. And no one came back. Finally a nurse saw me peeking and rushed through my discharge and I was on my way! 

What's the first thing I ate? 

Little Ceasers pizza.

No Shame. 
Day of surgery. She knew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment