HTML

Monday, June 24, 2013

I Have Gestational Diabetes.... I think?!

Today was my appointment with the Diabetes Education Center. It's been 2 weeks since I have started testing my sugar and a week ago I found out I needed to keep a food diary log. Great. Let them tell me I eat terrible.... 

She went through every.single.meal. Ugh. 

& I love bread. A lot of my meals- especially breakfast is bread related. She went through and circled about 8-10 readings out of 50 that were high. Those were unacceptable. A regular type 2 diabetic- those numbers would be okay. But not for a pregnant gal! 


I need to be 98% on target to be without medication. Medication could include insulin. I was shocked. Straight to insulin? She said they may try a medication called Glyburide, which I am familiar with working in a dr office and a pharmacy the past 8 years of my life. Apparently, they have no research on Glyburide since ethically they cannot test medication out on pregnant women. Insulin is natural however. Makes sense. 

I was all for the insulin route (if meds are needed) until she brought up the glucagon emergency kit. 

Glucagon is an emergency injection if my sugar would happen to get too low and I may pass our or seize. Okay. Got it. She then instructed my husband, who hates blood and literally screamed when I tested his blood sugar, on what his job would be. 

1) Test my blood sugar. Which entails putting a test strip in the meter, put a lancet in the lancet device, twist off the top, put the cap back on, poke my finger, wipe off the first drop of blood, squeeze my finger to get a good sample, brush test strip over said blood, wait for reading. If its low, administer glucagon. 

2) Glucagon- take everything out of the box, mix the saline and powder solutions together, fill syringe, inject into arm, leg or butt. 

3) Call 911, if sugar wasnt low, call 911. 

This could take him 20+ minutes people! 
Ain't nobody got time for that! Especially this pregnant mama! 

After that scary thought, we headed to two grocery stores where I proceeded to pretty much cry. I'm picky already. My meals- I'm okay with. I can get upwards of 60 carbs with lunch and dinner. My snacks are 15grams of carbs- everything had carbs! I can't even eat a can of peaches people! Or a pudding cup! How do diabetics survive?! No fruit gummies- my fav, no cereal as a snack.. Unless I eat 1/2 cup, but who does that? Yet- I can have 1/2 cup of chocolate ice cream for 16grams of carbs? How does this make sense?! I'm still amazed at the carbs in everything. Good bye Olive Garden, good bye Pizza Hut. I will see you in 6-7 weeks! 


1 comment:

  1. Nowdays diabetes is a fairly common disease but how do you get diabetes depend on either the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body does not respond to insulin. So taking a balance diet with regular execise gives the body an extra strength to fight against this evil disease.

    ReplyDelete