HTML

Saturday, October 26, 2013

DIY Halloween Costumes!

I was researching Halloween costumes- oh-- pretty much since the girls were born. We wanted to do minions and Andrew was going to be Gru (Despicable Me is one of our favorite movies, it's not only hilarious, but I love the adoption aspect!) but some people we knew decided to do that as well! So Plan B- something  creative! I didn't want them to be thing one or thing two or twinkies, etc. I finally found something on Etsy. 
Peanut Butter and Jelly! How perfect! :) minus the fact this set was 159.99 on Etsy! Um- no.. 

My best friend had made the girls tutus for their shower so I knew we could do it! We didn't have an embroidery machine but a iron in transfer would do! & I have the how thing covered! 

Brown Tulle- 3.77 for 30 yards.. Maybe used 15 = $1.89
Purple Tulle- 3.77 for 50 yards. Maybe used 15 (that's generous) = 1.00$ 
Ribbon was 1.00 each and I barely used any of it. =$2.00
Elastic was 1.97 and we used half of it= 1.00$ 
The iron on transfer sheets we used a 59% off AC Moore coupon. So we figured it out and used 2 sheets = 0.50 and I had the onsies so free! 

I used this tutorial: 
Took a few hours but it ended up looking pretty good, only we could see some of the knots weren't even. Megan was inspecting her purple tutu and noticed the inside of the tutu was super smooth. So we turned them inside out and it looks professional! She's pretty much a genius! 

Added the bows on the outside. Ironed our iron in transfers (remember to change your printer properties to mirror image) and added a small bow to the shirt and used papertowels as our baby models!! 
For their headbands 

Total cost: $6.40! Compared to $159.99! 

And ya know what? I kind like ours better! (I plan to glitter spray the purple one)! 

Thanks to my husband for watching the girls allllll Saturday morning by himself while we made these & thanks for my bestest friend since 4th grade- Megan! I would still be making these tutus if it wasn't for her! Next up DIY Baby Pants! & an Alumni game outfit-- Eek! 

No comments:

Post a Comment